- 3-4lbs. of chicken
- 1 lb. red potatoes
- 1 lb. carrots
- 1 lb. fennel
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup table salt or 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 quarts water
1. For the brine, dissolve the salt and sugar in the water. Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and completely cover with the brine solution. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
2. While the chicken is brining, peel the carrots and chop into 1 inch chunks. Brush off the potatoes and also chop into 1 inch chunks. Cut the stem off the fennel and slice into 6-8 wedges.
3. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the vegetables in a roasting pan (it doesn't have to be fancy, a pyrex baking dish or even disposable foil pan will work) and toss with olive oil, thyme, and about 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. After the chicken is brined, pull out the pieces, pat dry and season each side with salt and pepper. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and roast at 450 degrees until the chicken is ~175 degrees inside, about 30-45 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken and tent with aluminum foil to rest. Check the tenderness of the vegetables, if they're not as tender as you like put them back in the oven for about 10 more minutes.Enjoy this simple and delicious meal!