- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, smashed open
- 14.5 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup stock
- 1 lb. calamari, cut into rings
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp pesto
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 lb. spaghetti, cooked to al dente in salted water
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook gently without browning until fragrant. Add tomatoes, stock, calamari, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium-low heat (uncovered) for about an hour.
The calamari should be meltingly tender when it's done and the sauce should have reduced and become thicker.When the pasta is just about cooked, add the pesto, cheese and parsley to the calamari. Then use a spaghetti hook to transfer the pasta into the pot with the calamari.
Finish cooking the pasta in the sauce so that it absorbs some of the flavors.Serve steaming hot with an extra flourish of chopped parsley.