For the Koftas:
- 1/2 cup of vegetables (Beans, Carrots, Cauliflower, Peas)chopped and parboiled with a pinch of sugar.
- 2 boiled potatoes smashed or grated
- 100gm of paneer grated
- 2 Green chilli paste or chopped finely
- 1 tbsp of cornflour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped corainder
- Oil for deep frying
For the Gravy:
- 2 onions ground to paste
- 2 green chillies,
- 4 cloves of garlic,
- 1 inch of ginger - ground to paste
- 1 tbsp of khus-khus(poppy seeds) - Soak it in water for 20 mins. sieve the water out and grind the seeds into fine paste.
- 10-12 pieces of cashews. Soak it in warm milk for 10 mins and then grind it into paste.
- Make a powder of 1/2 tsp jeera, 2 cloves, 1 dalchini(cinnamon), 2 cardamom, 1 bay leaf, 8 -10 pepper corns (Spice Powder).
- 2 tbsp of curd
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp of cornflour mix it in 1 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp of oil
Mix all the Ing specified above and make dough without water.Roll it into small balls.Deep fry in hot oil in high flame till they are cooked. Remove it on paper towel to remove the excess oil.
Take oil in a pan. when the oil is hot add the onion paste. Fry for few mins till it is translucent. Add ginger/garlic/green chilli paste. When the aroma arises then add the khus khus. Mix it for 5 mins. Add the spice powder , add curd. Mix well till the curd is absorbed . Add the cashew paste, add the salt to taste. Add the cornstarch mixture. The gravy will begin to thicken . You can also add some malai to thicken it some more. Mix in some water if necessary. When the gravy comes to a boil, add the koftas. Garnish with Corainder leaves. Serve the mughlai malai koftas with naan or roti
Note: In this malai kofta receipe , the koftas should be put in just before eating the dish or else they will turn soggy.