- 8 ounces calamari tubes
- 2 tablespoons Szechwan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup peanut oil
1. Slice the calamari tubes down one side and open them up to lay flat. Score the insides with a knife in a cross-hatch pattern. Set aside.
2. Heat a small skillet over high heat with no oil. Add the peppercorns, and toast for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until they start to sizzle and pop. Remove them from the pan and set aside. Add the salt to the pan and cook over high heat until it has turned a gray color. Remove from the heat.
3. Grind the salt and pepper with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder until it becomes a fine powder. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and mix with flour and cornstarch.
4. Heat the oil in a wok or heavy skillet over high heat until very hot. Place a few pieces of squid at a time into the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess and quickly fry them in the oil until browned, turning once. Each one should take about 30 seconds. Serve and eat immediately.