- 70 ml olive oil for cooking
- 5 cm fresh ginger root (peeled)
- 4 large cloves garlic (peeled)
- 5 large Conference pears (unpeeled, but seeds & stem removed, cut into quarters)
- zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- zest of 1 unwaxed orange
- 50 g sultanas
- 150 g dried apricots
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 1 large sprig rosemary (leaves only)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coarse-ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 160 ml cider vinegar
Heat olive oil in a heavy-based pan. Crush the garlic and grate the ginger finely, then add to the hot oil. Cook over a low heat until just starting to brown. Chop the pears further to about 1 cm dice and add to the pan. Finely grate the citrus zest (or use a zester), chop the apricots roughly and add them and all remaining ingredients to the pan.Cook for about 30 minutes at low heat, stirring constantly.
Fill into sterilised jars, close the lid firmly, then stand on their heads to cool.
Keeps in the fridge for about a month at the very least.