- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 lb ricotta cheese (full fat or partly skimmed)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 drops of red food color (add more for a deeper pink)
- 1-2 teaspoons of rose water
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 1/2 cups powdered milk
- 2 ounces almonds, chopped
- 2 ounces pistachios, chopped
1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add ricotta cheese and cook for 8 minutes.
2. Add sugar, food color, rose water, nutmeg and cardamom. Stir for a further 6 minutes.
3. Add powdered milk and mix for a further 4 minutes.
4. Pour the mixture into a metal brownie pan (6 x 10 inches). Sprinkle with nuts and press them into the mixture.
5. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate overnight.
6. Cut into rectangular pieces before serving. Will last for two or more weeks in the refrigerator.