- 5 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shredded ginger
- 1 teaspoon sliced garlic
- 6 whole dried red chilies
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 450 g/1 lb boned leg of lamb, cubed
- 600 ml/1 pint/2.5 cups water
- 2 fresh green chilies, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Lower the heat slightly and fry the onions until they are lightly browned. Add half the ginger and half the garlic and stir well. Throw in half the red chilies, the cardamoms, cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves and salt.
2) Add the lamb and fry over a medium heat. Stir continuously with a semi-circular movement, using a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan. Continue in this way for about 5 minutes.
3) Pour in the water, cover with a lid and cook over a medium-low heat for 35-40 minutes, or until the water has evaporated and the meat is tender.
4) Add the rest of the ginger, garlic and dried red chilies, along with the fresh green chilies and fresh coriander (cilantro).
5) Continue to stir over the heat until you see some free oil on the sides of the pan. Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.