- 1 egg
- 15 ml/1 tablespoon groundnut (peanut) oil
- 900 ml/1.5 pints vegetable stock
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 4 outer leaves Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 30 ml/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2.5 ml/0.5 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2.5 ml/0.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish
1) Put the egg in a bowl and beat lightly with a fork. Heat the oil in a small frying pan until it is hot, but not smoking as it would be too hot. Pour in the egg and swirl the pan so that it coats the base evenly. Cook over a medium heat until the omelet has set and the underside is golden. Slide it out of the pan and roll it up like a pancake. Slice into 5 mm/0.25 in rounds and set aside for the garnish.
2) Put the stock into a large pan. Add the carrots and cabbage and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the soy sauce, granulated sugar and pepper.
3) Stir well, then pour into warmed bowls. Lay a few omelet rounds on the surface of each portion and complete the garnish with the coriander leaves.