- 1/2 cup yellow split moong dal
- 1/4 tsp onion seeds
- 1 bunch spring onions ( scallions), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 inch piece ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp fresh fenugreek leaves ( or kasuri methi - dry fenugreek leaves, eventhough the fresh ones impart a stronger aroma n flavour)
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- juice of half a lemon
- chopped spring onions and fresh cilantro, to garnish
- salt to taste
- oil and water
Cook the dal until soft and in a mashable condition. Drain and keep aside.Heat the oil in a skillet and fry the onion seeds. Add the drained dal and stir fry for a few minutes.
Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, chilli powder, spring onions, fenugreek leaves and salt and continue to stri fry for a couple more minutes. Pour some water to just about loosen the mixture.
Now, add the tomatoes, bell peppers and lemon juice. Mix well and garnish with spring onions and coriander leaves.
Serve hot with naan or rotis