- 1 cup Chickpea
- 1 cup rice soaked for about 30 minutes
- 5 tbs. oil
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 tbs. ginger (Adrak) paste
- 1 tbs. garlic (Lehsan) paste
- 1 tsp. whole Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 6 black pepper (Kali Mirch).
- 6 cloves (Laung)
- 1 black cardamom (Bari Ilaichi)
- ½ inch piece of cinnamon (Dalchini)
- 1 tsp. salt (according to taste)
Add about 3 cups of water and boil till the Chana becomes tender but does not break apart. Drain and keep aside.
In another pan, heat the oil and add the onions. Sauté till it starts to turn brown.
Add the Ginger (Adrak), Garlic (Lehsan), Cumin Seeds (Zeera)), Black Peppercorn. (Kali Mirch), Clove (Laung), Ilaichi, cinnamon and salt along with ½ cup of water. Mix well and allow the water to dry. Add the Chana and presoaked rice.
Add water so that it reaches about a 1½ cm above the level of the rice and Chana.
Cover and cook till water dries and the rice and Chana tender.
Reduce heat to the minimum, cook in their own steam (dum) for another 5 minutes and remove.
Serve with garlic chutney or Achaar.