- 1 whole chicken with skin (3 - 3 1/2 lbs), rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp chili powder (substitute some paprika if you don't want it too spicy)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp coarse salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Mix the marinade ingredients in a little bowl. Combine 4 tsp of chile rub with the butter till well combined, and store the rest in an airtight jar or spice tin. Spread all over both sides of chicken and a little under the skin covering the breast.
2. Tie the chicken legs together and tuck the wings under the chicken if you want. Place the chicken (breast up) on a rack set in a roasting pan or on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 when inserted in the thickest part of a thigh (avoid bone) for 45-50 minutes. Serve, or let cool before refrigerating, up to 3 days, covered.