- 450g/1lb potatoes
- 100g/4oz frozen peas
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and very finely chopped
- 22ml/1 ½tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground cumin
- 2.5ml/ ½tsp ground coriander
- ½ lemon, juice of
- 2.5ml/ ½tsp salt
- Gram flour
- Groundnut oil for frying
For the Sauce:
- 30ml/2tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2.5cm/1″ piece ginger, grated, juice of
- 5ml/1tsp turmeric
- 10ml/2tsp ground coriander
- 5ml/1tsp paprika
- 2.5ml/½tsp chilli powder
- 4 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 250ml/8fl oz water
- Coriander for garnish
1. Boil the potatoes until soft. Peel and mash. Cook the peas and add them to the potato, breaking them down slightly.
2. Add the spring onions, chilli, coriander, spices, lemon juice and salt. Mix well and form into 18 balls. Roll each one in gram flour, knocking off any excess.
3. Make the sauce by heating the oil and frying the onion for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, ginger juice and spices and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and water and cook until the tomatoes have broken and the sauce has thickened.
4. Heat the oil in a wok or deep pan. Fry the koftas in batches until golden. Drain on kitchen towel and serve covered in the sauce. Garnish with coriander sprigs.