- 14 oz./ 400g chicken breast, cut into small cubes, about 1-inch length
- 3.5 oz./ 100g peanuts
- 5 tbsps.vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps.five-spice powder
- 2tbsps.light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp.ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp.Vinegar
- 1tsp.chopped scallion
- 1 tsp.freshly grated ginger root
- 1 tsp. salt, as needed
- 1 tbsp.vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
1. In a bowl, gently combine chicken breast cubes with the marinade, mix well and marinate for 30 minutes, let the flavor fully develops.
2. Beat one egg in another bowl, whisk lightly, stir in 2 tbsps.five-spice powder, stir to mix well.
3. In a wok, heat 2 tbsps.vegetable oil till hot, stir fry the peanuts over lowest heat just until the color turns golden, do not brown, which will take about 1-2 minutes. Dish out onto a plate for later use.
4. Coat the chicken breast cubes evenly with egg cream (get from Step 2).
5. In a wok heat 5 tbsp.vegetable oil over high heat until shimmering on the bottom and very hot but not yet smoking, then turn heat to medium, and deep fry the coated chicken breast cubes until golden, drain well in a colander and dry on kitchen papers.
6. Deep fry them again, drain well in a colander and dry well on kitchen papers.
7. Add the chicken breast cubes in the peanuts, mix well and serve immediately