- 2 salmon steaks or fillets
- 1tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika, pimenton
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- a pinch of dried oregano
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- olive oil or rapeseed oil, for frying
Crush all cumin seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns in the pestle & mortar, add other spices and finely chopped garlic clove. Mix and rub over salmon fillets or steaks (both sides!). Cover the tray and leave to marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Heat a heavy-bottomed frying pan on a moderately high heat until hot, add the oil. Place salmon fillets in the pan. Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes, without moving them (this helps to get a nice and even browning).
Turn salmon fillets around, cover the pan with a lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your salmon.
Transfer onto warmed plates and serve with a cucumber salad and a dollop of thick yogurt/sour cream.