- 8 skinless chicken thighs, bone in, washed and drained (I cleaved each into three pieces, bone included)
- 2 T or so of oil
- 1/2 t cumin seeds
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly-sliced
- 1/4 C raw cashews, whole
- 1 T lemon (or lime) juice
- 1/2 C coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely-sliced(my addition)
- 4-5 mint leaves, finely shredded (stack, roll into a little log and slice thinly- my addition)
- 1/4 C raw cashews, ground
- 1 t ground coriander seeds
- 3/4 t ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 t ground chiles
- 1/4-1/2 t ground black pepper
- 1/2 t garam masala
- 1/2 t turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2″ piece of ginger, sliced
- 1 C coriander leaves and stems, washed, drained, chopped
- 1 hot green chile, seeded and sliced
- 1 C plain yoghurt
- salt to taste
1)Make a paste of the garlic, ginger, coriander leaves and green chilis.
2)Combine this with the rest of the marinade ingredients and mix with the chicken pieces well in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
3)Heat oil in a cooking vessel over med-high heat and add the cumin seeds; after a few seconds add the onions and whole cashews; fry stirring fairly constantly until the onions are golden and just beginning to brown.
4)Strain these, using a slotted spoon, from the oil and set aside. Add the chicken and its marinade to the pan, stir well, cover and allow it to come to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low and cook for 40 min, stirring occasionally to avoid catching, until tender.
5)Add the reserved onions, cashews and lemon juice and cook 5 minutes more. Check for salt.
6)Sprinkle coriander leaves, green onions, and mint leaves over the top and serve hot with rice.