- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp, fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp red Thai curry paste
- 2 lbs/1kg carrots, grated
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded coconut, toasted
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat and cook the ginger, onion and garlic until fragrant (about 5 minutes). Don’t let the garlic burn or it will just taste bitter. Add the curry paste and stir until blended.
2. Add carrots, stock, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered until the carrots are tender – about 20 minutes or so.
3. Puree soup and return to heat. Add coconut milk and heat for five minutes. Taste for seasonings.
4. Combine cilantro and toasted coconut in a small bowl and use as garnish for each serving.