For the dough:
- 1 cup of Wheat Flour (Atta)
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed to make the dough
For the stuffing:
- 1/2 cup gram flour
- 4-5 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 3-4 pinches asafoetida(hing)
- 2 tsp amchur powder(Green mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1"(25mm) ginger grated
- 1 tbsp. coriander finely chopped
- Oil / Clarified butter for making the puri
Knead the flour with water and salt into a soft dough. Keep aside.
Heat a pan add oil, add the cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds starts to crackle. Add green chillies, ginger and asafoetida(hing) cook for sometime. Add onions, fry till they are translucent. Add Chilli powder, tumeric powder, garam masala, amchur powder. Mix well. Then add gram flour and fry it till the raw smell of the flour is gone and it is cooked. Add chopped coriander leaves and salt to taste. Mix well. Remove from the flame and keep it aside. Roll out the dough in 4 cm diameter. Place 1 tablespoon of the stuffing in the centre and closed the edges. Roll out with a light hand using dry flour, in order not to break the dough open. Roll out aprox. 6 inches round.Now cook on a tava (Griddle or pan) with Ghee (clarified butter) until light brown on both the sides.Serve hot with yogurt or pickles.
Note: If you think there is less gram flour in the stuffing you can add more as needed.